Every once in a while I will make a recipe that tastes so good that I can't believe I am the one who made it. This was definitely one of those. I am a big fan of blue cheese and will usually try a recipe just because it had blue cheese as an ingredient. The ingredient combination of this recipe is fantastic, even the leftovers were great! I did not have the twine so we improvised and just rolled them up.
1 flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat oven to 425 degree F.
2. Lay steak on work surface. Holding sharp knife parallel to work surface and starting at a long side, slice flank steak in half to opposite long side, without cutting all the way through; open up the steak like a book. Flatten slightly to an even thickness.
3. Squeeze liquid from spinach; discard liquid. In medium-size bowl, combine spinach, cheese, peppers, bread crumbs, egg yolk, 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and the pepper.
4. Season steak with an additional 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and pepper. Press filling onto steak, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Roll up steak to enclose filling, beginning on a short side; the grain of the meat will be running from left to right. Tuck any loose filling back into ends.
5. Tie steak with cotton twine at 2-inch intervals to secure. Rub outside with oil, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each garlic salt and pepper.
6. Roast at 425 degree F for 35 minutes, then increase heat to broil and broil for 10 minutes, turning once. Let meat rest 15 minutes. Remove twin, slice and serve.
Calories 305, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 92 mg, Sodium 588 mg, Carbohydrate 7 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 36 g.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet