Saturday, November 24, 2012

Crockpot Mac & Cheese

On Thanksgiving day, I found my daughter sneaking out of the kitchen with a mouth full of food. I told her to take me in and show me what she was eating since her mouth was too full to tell me. I'm expecting her to point out the pumpkin squares or the apple dumplings but she walks to the crockpot and points to the mac & cheese! She asked if she could have more and I told her it was time for dessert and she said she would rather have the mac & cheese. She is a mac & cheese addict and says this is her favorite mac & cheese ever. This coming from the child that returned her mac & cheese to the kitchen at a very popular diner in California stating that it wasn't good enough for her, lol. Yeah, I have my hands full!

I am a firm believer that if you have a crockpot recipe, you shouldn't have to cook something before putting it into the crockpot! That takes the convenience out of it and requires me to do actual work, lol! I had done an internet search for crockpot mac & cheese and this was one of the very few recipes I found in which you didn't have to pre-cook the noodles. I've made this twice now and have to say it is my favorite mac & cheese recipe, crockpot or not!




Ingredients


Cooking oil spray
2 1/2 cups milk
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

Directions

Spray the pot of the slow cooker or if using a liner bag, spray the bag well.  In a mixing bowl whisk together milk, evaporated milk, egg, salt and pepper. Pour milk mixture into the crockpot.  Add cheese and uncooked macaroni. Stir gently to mix.  

Turn slow cooker on low and cook 3-4 hours, or until the macaroni is tender. I stir it every hour and then every 20-30 minutes the last hour it is cooking so it doesn't start to crisp around the sides. Do not let it cook over 4 hours. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment